Here's another one that was going to be (just a little) too long for Facebook. I got home a little late from working out tonight and heard some crying, I checked K's room and she was just a sleeping little angel baby so I headed back to Landon's.
(A little bit of a backstory...) My little boy is of the super sensitive nature. Not only with emotions, but with his senses, how he observes others, and really just the world in general. There are many who don't understand my little man, some who call him a cry baby, "too sensitive", whatever else. He's just the right amount of sensitive because that is what is going to shape him into a compassionate and empathetic version of a person that only he can be, Levi and I understand him and that's all that matters right now. I relate to him more simply because with every hardship he faces in his little life, I remember exactly how it felt. I was the same way as a child in the way that I processed the world and still am even after life's lessons and rough spots have trained me to have a tough skin.
Back to tonight... I walked in and Levi was holding him and Landon's little lip was just quivering. He was trying so very hard not to cry, I just looked at Levi and he mouthed "I don't know." So I crawled into bed with him and Levi left us, it was long overdue Mommy and Landon time. I asked him what was wrong and he in his bravest voice on the verge of tears said, "I don't know, I was just looking at everything in my room and it was different and I started crying! My fan is different and everything is different!" I told him he could just cry if he thought it would make him feel better while I held him and he said, "But I don't WANT to cry mom." So I snuggled in closer and said I wanted to tell him a story.
Four years ago and about five hours from right now, was when I knew you were getting ready to get outta my tummy so you could be apart of our family. Daddy was sleeping and so I let him sleep a little longer while I got our bags ready for the hospital. I talked to you while I was getting ready, telling you that you were such a good little boy to come on your due date. And that I couldn't wait to see you and hold you and kiss you again and again. I had a list all ready so I would know exactly what I wanted to bring. When I could tell that you were starting to get impatient, I woke daddy up and to his surprise we were ready to go to the hospital! When you came out of my tummy, you did not cry! Did you know babies are supposed to cry when they come out of their mommy's tummies? He laughs and then says "I didn't cry!" The Dr.'s were worried about you at first, but then they saw that you were breathing really well and that no matter how much they poked you and tickled you, you were not going to cry for them. So they wrapped you up tight and gave you to me, and I held you and was crying and crying because of how happy I was that I got to be your mommy. And we just stared at each other for a very long time, "Like this?" Looking very seriously at me and I said "Yes honey, just exactly like that". This is the point where I started tearing up... But Landon, you tricked the Dr.'s and Mommy and Daddy, because you never cried in the hospital. But when we brought you home you didn't stop crying!! "That's because you were trying to make me go to sleep and I didn't want to. I just wanted to stay up and play and play." Well, I wish you would have told me that before, because I really didn't know what you were so upset about! "I tricked you mommy!" Yes you did! "...I want to hear more of my story..."
(Sadly, even though it was only 5 hours ago, I can't remember the rest of our conversation in between that and this next part (thus the many status updates on FB so I don't forget).)
I told him it was time for me to go to bed and he said that he could only feel happy when I was in his room so I asked him what looked different in his room to him. "I don't know, it just makes me feel sad." So I sat up really fast with an excited look on my face and said "Landon! Do you think everything looks different because you're going to be 4 years old in the morning and that means you're an even bigger boy than before??" He took that suggestion in for just a few seconds and then got a big smile on his face and laughed a little and said, "Yeah! I'm going to be an even bigger boy!" He was satisfied with that and then told me, "Mommy, I really like you." To which I responded with kisses and tears because when a 4 year old tells you they like you, it really means more than when they say 'I love you'.
Landon, do you know that you are very special? "No I didn't!" Well you are, you are a very special little boy and there is no one else that is just like you. You are smart, and very funny, "Do you think I'm funny even though I'm not a baby?" I think you're funny especially because you're not a baby! (Baby K has been cracking us all up lately... :) )Do you know that lot's of people think you're funny too? Mommy writes on the computer when you say things that make me smile and laugh and they read it and sometimes people even tell me that they love to read Landon stories! "Can you tell them that Scout is special and funny too?" Of course. Do you know what else makes you special? You know when mommy is happy or sad or mad even when I don't tell you! "And mommy, sometimes you are happy even when your face isn't." That's right honey. You are a very good helper and a really good big brother to KayKay. And you have the BEST imagination! I love to hear your stories and play pretend with you. You are my special Landon. "Okay mommy but I have to go pee pee now, I already went but now I have to go again!" And that was how it ended. ;) Love my Boogie.
2 comments:
Oh, Cari! What a beautiful story. Loved reading this. What a special little boy, and what a special mommy. :)
This is one of the very best kiddo stories I have ever read. So sweet!
Post a Comment