Usually I use Facebook to record Landon's sweet and funny antics for family and some friends as well as my own personal record, but this one would be way too long. So a-blogging I will do.
He's been sick for a few weeks and the last few nights have been sleepless for the whole family. He can't stop coughing, I've tried every trick in the book except one my dad used to do for my brother. So I grabbed a blanket, my son, his hat and coat and we went outside at 10:00 at night. He was SO excited, "Where are we going to mom?! What are we doing mommy?!!" Complete with a little happy dance... which is similar to his potty dance, sometimes it's hard to differentiate.
We sat on the bench on the front porch (beautiful night by the way, no wind, perfect temp and bright moon) and he began pointing to everything and asking "What's that? What was that noise? Why is that light on? Look at the stars! They're moving mommy! Why are they moving?"
"They look like they're moving, but they're not, the clouds are moving. That makes it look like the stars are moving doesn't it?"
"Yeah. MOMMY WHAT'S THAT?! Why is that star moving?!"
"That's an airplane honey."
"Why is it moving? Where is it going? Where did it go?"
I realized through our conversation that he had not seen our world at this time of night before. It was all new and so sweet to see through his eyes. He counted the stars and talked about everything that had been on his little mind since he went to bed 2 1/2 hours before that he couldn't share with us. Then a big cloud came and started covering the stars and he was pretty quiet for a 3 year old while it was happening. I told him it was time to go in and go to sleep. He said that he wanted to keep watching the cloud, so I told him to close his eyes and picture the cloud.
"Do you see the cloud?"
"...No." In a way that implied I was kind of an idiot for telling him to close his eyes and ask if he could see something. So I closed my eyes and told him I could picture the cloud because I remembered what it looked like and asked him to close his eyes again.
"Can you see it?"
"Yeah!"
"Okay, when you're lying in bed you can watch the cloud until you fall asleep."
"Okay!" We got inside and started walking back to his room and he told me,
"Mommy, I'm just going to watch the cloud and the stars for a while."
"Okay baby, I love you, goodnight."
My heart was so full walking out of his room, then I went and checked on my sweet baby girl and looking at her my heart was so full that tears started coming out. It is so amazing to me the capacity we have as humans to love so much. I can't believe all of the love that fits into my heart, love over the course of my lifetime this far and the love I'll feel in the future. I am grateful and happy. And my little man is sleeping.
4 comments:
wow! Thanks for sharing Cari! This story made me cry!
Beautiful, Cari- simply beautiful. :) What an experience with your son that he nor you will ever forget.
oops that comment was from me--- but was signed in as Brendan. :)
This is beautiful. You are a gifted writer. This story made me cry, too, for happiness. Being a mother is wonderful, huh! And it is definitely these small, seemingly insignificant moments that make all the difference.
Post a Comment